Hair issues or scalp problems? Your microbiome can help! Your scalp microbiome is a rich environment that protects and nourishes your scalp and hair, yet it’s fragile and can easily be disturbed by daily pollution, stress or over washing.
Here are a few ways you can notice an unbalance and how microbiome haircare can help. Let’s look at different concerns, and how you can treat it:
My scalp is sensitive, red, itchy
You’re not the only one! 40% of women say they have sensitive scalp. The cause can be internal, such as increased inflammation level or stress, but most of the time it is because of an inadequate hair routine. Most people use too many products, and they are too aggressive on your scalp. This is how your microbiome gets out of balance and inflammation occurs.
What is the solution?
- Do less, and especially wash less. Use only very gentle cleansing bases in your shampoo, and if possible low foaming or non-foaming shampoos. The foam looks and feel nice but doesn’t really help with cleansing. Always use pH-appropriate shampoos. Your scalp is pH4, and so should be your products!
- Scale back on the number of products. It’s true for the skin and it’s also true for the scalp: when you have irritated scalp or skin, the answer will usually come from using less products than more. Go minimal for a couple of weeks and see if you notice a difference.
- Use prebiotic and postbiotic products on your scalp: the idea is to feed your resident microbiome, rebalance it and let it manage the inflammation. That’s the first thing people notice when they start using our scalp care range.
My scalp is flaky
You’re clearly not alone in this, as 50% of the world population will encounter dandruff at some time in their lives. The cause is often another player of the scalp microbiome: a yeast called Malassezia. When the microbiome is imbalanced, the yeast goes wild, multiplies and causes this unsightly dandruff.
What is the solution?
- Up until now there was only one solution: kill everything on your scalp with fungicide or bactericide shampoos. It works, but only for a while. As the yeast is part of a normal microbiome, it will never go away forever.
- What if a gentler solution existed? Can we help with dandruff by rebalancing the microbiome? We are looking into it, as many of our users report excellent results on flaky scalp.