Lemongrass & Miso Chicken Soup
In all the bustle of Christmas and festivities, this is a kind of “reset” meal. The kind of reassuring creation that brings your body nourishment and makes you feel restored, soothed and wholesome.
Miso soup to me is inherently comforting, the savoury fermented paste offers salty, umami tones but is also surprisingly nutritious. A rich source of probiotics, supporting gut and digestive health, bolstering immunity and the microbiome. Miso also contains high levels of copper, manganese and zinc as well as B vitamins, we should be including miso more often. The important thing when cooking with miso is to remember not to heat over boiling as it will destroy the healthy bacteria before they reach your plate, and more importantly your gut.
Antonia x Gallinée
Free from gluten and dairy.
Time 15 minutes
- 1 litre light chicken stock
- 250ml hot water
- a thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced
- lemongrass, bashed at the bottom and sliced in half
- small bunch of coriander, stalks cut from the tips
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- seasonal greens, kale, sprouts, broccoli, courgette ribbons, bok choi, spinach
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- juice of 1 lime
- 200grams rice noodles
- 200grams cooked chicken
- top – with fresh coriander, spring onions, herbs, lime etc
- Place the chicken stock, water, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks, garlic, lime leaves and fish sauce in a large pan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the temperature to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare the noodles according to the instructions on the pack.
- Strain the broth and discard the herbs and aromatics or scoop out using a slotted spoon, returning broth to the pan.
- Stir through a spoonful of miso paste and the juice of a lime.
- Then cook the seasonal greens, tougher greens like kale or sprouts will need longer while pak choi and spinach cooks quickly, be careful not to bring the broth to boiling.
- To serve place noodles and cooked chicken within a shallow bowl and ladle broth and vegetables over.
Tip: – To make this vegetarian/ vegan use a light vegetable broth and replace chicken with tofu.
- This would also be great with leftover turkey during Christmas time.