ANTONIA X GALLINEE – BIBIMBAP, KOREAN RICE BOWL WITH KIMCHI
Bibimbap literally means “mixed rice” and is usually served as a bed of rice, topped with a vibrant collection of cooked vegetables, beef and finished off with a glossy fried egg. All stirred through thoroughly with gusto before eating. It really is a dish to be shared, savour the preparation and cover your table in a riot of small bowls, each filled with colour and flavour. Invite friends and family to pick and choose their own combinations.
This may not be the traditional preparation of Bibimbap but I think a dish like this gives freedom to be a little looser in interpretation. The amounts can vary, topping options are endless and in my opinion if in doubt tossing any veggies in sesame seed oil and tamari makes them delicious.
Kimichi is a spicy Korean fermented condiment traditionally made with cabbage, tons of garlic, ginger and shrimp paste. It’s punchy, probiotic, spicy and oddly satisfying.
Gluten free, dairy free.
- 2 steaks thinly sliced or around 300grams sliced free range beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400grams cooked brown rice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips (julienned)
- 2 courgettes, thinly sliced
- 150grams bean sprouts
- 150grams shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 large handfuls of spinach
- 4 eggs
- sesame seed oil
- tamari soy sauce
- sesame seeds
Quick Pickled Cucumber :
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon of rice mirim
- pinch of salt
Serve with Kimchi
Top with sprouts, radishes, seseame seeds, a squeeze of lime etc.
- Start by preparing your vegetables one by one. Traditionally the vegetables would be served at room temperature so don’t worry about keeping them too warm.
- Heat a large pan of water to boiling and blanch the carrots, courgettes and bean sprouts for about 1 – 2 minutes, one by one, until cooked. Keep separated, and dress with a small dash of sesame seed oil and tamari, then set aside.
- In a small pan heat a little sesame seed oil and add the shitake mushrooms, cooking on medium heat for 4 – 6 minutes until cooked through.
- In the same pan quickly cook the spinach until wilted, squeeze any excess water out and set aside.
- In the same pan raise the heat and add a teaspoon of sesame seed oil, toss in the sliced beef, add a teaspoon of tamari and the minced garlic. Stir fry on high for a 4 minutes until cooked.
- In a separate, clean pan fry your eggs.
- Divide the rice between your bowls and top with the egg. Top with beef, kimchi and vegetables to your liking.
Quick Pickled Cucumber :
- Toss the thinly sliced cucumber with the lime juice, mirim and salt. Set aside until wanted.
- To deseed a cucumber I like to run a teaspoon down the central column of soft seeds scooping out the flesh.