I go through phases with breakfast, like most people do it seems and this is on my spring season repeat. It’s light but filling and easy to use up leftover quinoa and off cuts of herbs that you might have lying around in the fridge. You could also use shredded raw kale however I find that many people struggle to digest it, whereas steaming or quickly heating the kale allows the tough fibres to soften and start to break down making them easier to digest. Together it is a fairly substantial breakfast bowl and definitely one to power through a busy morning with lots of plant based protein, fibre and texture.
Takes 15 minutes
· 3 large handfuls of kale, stems removed and leaves shredded
· 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 150grams cooked quinoa
· 2 tablespoons fresh soft herbs chopped, basil, parsley, dill, mint or a mix
· 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds
· 2 free range, organic eggs
· 1 ripe avocado, sliced
· 4 radishes, sliced
· a handful of salad
· juice of a lemon
· Start by bringing a small pan of water to the boil, gently place the eggs into the water and soft boil for 6 – 7 minutes before removing from the water. Rinse under cold water and carefully peel. Set aside while you continue preparing the rest of the dish.
· Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and toss in the shredded kale, add another tablespoon of water and heat on high for a few minutes. The kale should become bright and slightly soften.
· Mix together the kale, quinoa, herbs and toasted seeds with some seasoning and a squeeze of lemon juice.
· Divide between your bowls and top with the soft boiled egg, salad and sliced avocado.