ANTONIA X GALLINEE – NUT & SEED LOAF
There are lots of versions of this « paleo » loaf, caveman style it doesn’t use floor or grains with a thick nutty texture instead. Psyllium husks, are little seed husks and act as the glue for the loaf without any gluten or eggs binding the recipe. You can find it at health stores or online easily and it is really useful in gluten free baking. I like to serve my caveman loaf with salmon, thinly sliced fennel and pickled sauerkraut for a Scandinavian style breakfast but it’s also great with soups, salads or a chunky sandwich.
Gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Makes 1 loaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 tablespoon psyllium husks powder
- 350ml water
- 250 grams mixed nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts
- 250 grams mixed seeds, such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- 50 grams poppy seeds
- 50 grams sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- (optional a pinch of fennel seeds)
- Heat the oven to 180C and prepare a loaf tray by greasing or lining with baking parchment.
- Mix the psyllium husks thoroughly with water, whisking to make sure there are no lumps and set aside.
- In a food processor add the nuts and pulse a few times until coarse. If you do not have a food processor chop the nuts into coarse pieces.
- Place all the nuts, seeds and sea salt in a bowl.
- Add the goopy psyllium husk mixture and oil blend thoroughly.
- Place the mix into the lined tray and either bake immediately or allow to sit and develop for 1 hour.
- Cook for 45 minutes until golden, remove from the pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a wire rack, before slicing to stop any crumbling.
- Serve with pickled vegetables, cheese, salmon or a chunky sandwich.